This policy applies to your use of:
- Expensemate mobile application software (“App”) once you have downloaded or streamed a copy of the App onto your mobile telephone or handheld device (“Device”)
- Expensemate website (“Website”) accessible via https://expensemate.io and online web application (“Portal”) accessible via https://portal.expensemate.io
- Any of the services accessible through the App or Portal, or which we otherwise agree to provide to you or your employer through any third party software or application (“Services”)
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. The App, Portal and Website are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
- Who we are
We are Expensemate Limited (CRN: 12384812) (“we”, “us” or “our”). We are responsible for the App, Portal and Website and we are the controller in respect of all personal data collected via the Services. We are registered as a controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our registration number is: ZA743843.
- Contact details
We will be happy to deal with any queries or requests regarding the data we hold about you.
You can contact us by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Data Compliance Officer, Witham House, 45 Spyvee Street, Hull, East Yorkshire, HU8 7JR
- Telephone: 01482 386 666
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (“ICO”), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues, if you have any concerns with regard to the way in which we have processed your personal data.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during our relationship with you.
- Third party links
Our App, Portal and Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. Please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services, such as Contact and Location Data. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.
- The data we collect about you
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you as follows:
- Identity Data (for example, first name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth, gender)
- Contact Data (for example, address, email address and telephone numbers)
- Financial Data (for example, your Expensemate card or other Expensemate account details)
- Transaction Data (for example, information regarding purchases made using your Expensemate card or other Expensemate account)
- Device Data (for example, the type of mobile device you use, a unique device identifier, the MAC address of the Device's wireless network interface, or the mobile phone number used by the Device, mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use and time zone setting)
- Content Data (for example, information stored and uploaded onto the App, Portal or Website)
- Profile Data (for example, your username and password, preferences, feedback and survey responses)
- Usage Data (for example, details of your use of the App, Portal and Website)
- Marketing and Communications Data (for example, your marketing preferences)
- Location Data (for example, your current location disclosed by GPS technology)
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
- How is your personal data collected?
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This includes information (including Identity, Contact, Financial, and Marketing and Communications Data) you give us when downloading, accessing and using the App, logging in to the Portal, visiting the Website, using our Services and by corresponding with us (for example, by email). If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Information we collect about you and your device. Each time you use the App, Portal or Website we will automatically collect personal data including Device, Content and Usage Data. We collect this data using cookies and other similar technologies.
- Location Data. We also use GPS technology to determine your current location. Some of our location-enabled Services require your personal data for the feature to work. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time by disabling Location Data in your settings.
- Information we receive from other sources including third parties and publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties such as your employer and from analytics providers such as Google.
- How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to do so. Most commonly we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where you have consented before the processing
- Where we need to perform a contract we are about to enter or have entered with you
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation
We will only send you direct marketing communications by email or text if we have your consent. You have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by contacting us.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
Type of data
Lawful basis for processing
To install the App and register you as a new App user
To register as a user on the Portal
To deliver Services to you
Marketing and Communications
Performance of a contract with you
Necessary for our legitimate interests
To manage our relationship with you including notifying you of changes to the App, Portal, Website or any Services
Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep records updated and to analyse how customers use our Services)
Necessary to comply with legal obligations (to inform you of any changes to our terms and conditions)
To enable you to participate in a prize draw, competition or complete a survey
Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to analyse how customers use our Services and to develop them and grow our business)
To administer and protect our business and the App, Portal and Website including troubleshooting, data analysis and system testing
Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security)
To monitor trends so we can improve the App, Portal, Website and Services
Marketing and Communications
Necessary for our legitimate interests (to improve the App, Portal and Website and grow our business)
- Disclosures of your personal data
We may share personal data about you:
- with third parties who are directly involved in dealing with any request or enquiry made by you (for example, we may share your personal data with Quantum Card Services Limited and PSI-Pay Ltd in order to enable you to make purchases using your Expensemate card or other Expensemate account);
- where such disclosure is required by law;
- with third parties who are providing us with professional advice;
- where the disclosure is in connection with any criminal investigation, legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings where permitted by law;
- where the disclosure is in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- where we have stated or informed you otherwise (e.g. in this policy or on our Website).
We will not pass on your information to any third party for the purpose of marketing.
- International transfers
If we are required to transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area (EEA), we will ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- Your personal data will be transferred to a country that has been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe.
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the US.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA.
- Data security
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. You are responsible for keeping your password and username for the App and Portal, and any other login details relating to any Expensemate account, confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator when we are legally required to do so.
- Data retention
We only retain your personal data for as long as we need it for the purpose for which it was collected. Whilst taking in to consideration our legal obligations, we will on an ongoing basis: review the length of time we retain your personal data; consider the purpose or purposes for which we hold your personal data for in deciding whether (and for how long) to retain it; securely delete your personal data if it is no longer needed for such purpose or purposes; and update, archive or securely delete your personal data if it goes out of date. For further information on how long we retain your personal data please contact us using the contact details set out above.
- Your legal rights
Under certain circumstances you have the following rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data.
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of your personal data. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your personal data. This is where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios:
- if you want us to establish the data's accuracy;
- where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it;
- where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request transfer or your personal data. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Right to withdraw consent where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
You also have the right to ask us not to continue to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
The App, Portal and Website use “cookies” to ensure you receive the best possible visitor experience. Cookies are small files which are sent by a web server to an individual’s computer which are then stored on that computer’s hard drive. A cookie contains text and is like an identification card which can only be translated by the server it originated from.
We may also collect information about where you are on the Internet (e.g. the URL you came from, IP address, and domain types like .co.uk and .com), your browser type, the country where your computer is located, the pages of our website that were viewed during your visit and any search terms that you entered on our website. We will use this information to administer our website, for internal operations (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes) and as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure.
For further information about cookies and how they are used, please visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Get started with Expensemate today
Sign-up for a 30-day free trial and start experiencing hassle-free business expenses today.